What is #SBS on Twitter
Small Business Sunday, shortened to the hashtag #SBS on Twitter, was created by Theo Paphitis in October 2010. Theo is best known for appearing on Dragons Den on BBC Two. He is Chairman of Ryman Stationery plus Boux Avenue lingerie and Robert Dyas, as well as joint owner of Red Letter Days
Each week Theo reviews and chooses his favourite six entrants who are then re-tweeted. As he has over 460,000 followers, this provides a massive boost to the chosen businesses he selects.
How to enter the Theo Paphitis #SBS competition
Anyone hoping for a re‐tweet from Theo should tweet him about their business on Sunday between 5 PM and 7.30 PM and include the hashtag #SBS. Six lucky winners are re‐ tweeted every Monday at 8 PM.
What you need to do
- Firstly follow @TheoPaphitis and @RymanStationery on Twitter.
- Then tweet about your business in 140 characters or less, directed to @TheoPaphitis, adding the hashtag #SBS within the tweet. (See my winning tweet as an example.)
- Only tweet on a Sunday between 5.00-7.30 PM.
- Use humour and topicality if it feels natural to you.
- Feel free to add a link or web address in your tweet. (See my winning tweet)
When was my winning tweet?
I tweeted Theo on Sunday 06.07.14 and it was re-tweeted on Monday 07.07.14
What was my winning tweet?
What not to do
- Do not tweet repeatedly in the hope you are seen. There is no robot involved in reading and selecting winning tweets! This will not please Theo who personally picks the winners.
- Do not get another business or friend to tweet on your behalf or recommend you or re-tweet in the time frame ..it does not help.
Some tips for you
- Having a website increases your chances of being noticed because this can help ‘sell’ your product(s).
- It helps to know the names behind the business. #SBS is for small businesses. The personal touch is liked by Theo.
- Remember - Just tweet once in each weekly time slot.
- Make sure your Twitter Bio is interesting and accurate. It should let the readers including Theo know exactly what you and your business are about.
- If your Bio contains a link to your website check that it is working!!
- Consider changing your tweet each week, it is very lazy business sense to repeat the same tweet.
- Does capitalisation make a difference ie @TheoPaphitis or @theopaphitis?
- This makes no difference whatsoever.
- Can I enter every week?
- You can enter every week for as long as you like. But remember only enter once per week
- Would it help my chances if I sent Theo a product sample?
- No. It’s a nice thought but it wouldn’t be fair to other businesses
- Does it matter where I put the hashtag #sbs or @TheoPaphitis?
- No, just so long as they are included your tweet will be in with a chance.
How will I know if I’ve won?
Trust me you will know! Your twitter will go mad with lots of activity soon after Theo retweets you on the Monday evening at 8pm.
Good luck and why not follow me @badbackcompany